Christmas Reflections

Today we are joining 2 Brown Dawgs and Ruckus the Eskie for This ‘N That Thursday.  You know, some days it’s a little of this or a lot of that.  Grab the badge and join the party!

Courtesy of 2 Brown Dawgs Blog

Courtesy of 2 Brown Dawgs Blog

Many thanks to our hosts.

We host Christmas at our house and at times it can be very hectic.  While we don’t have a LARGE family, two dogs and two little ones make for an exciting time.

The last few years I’ve taken to making Lasagna.  I like it because I can do the majority of the prep work the night before, which leaves Christmas morning for hanging with the fam, and allows me to really enjoy the holiday.

If you saw my Facebook status on Christmas Eve, you know that Delilah also enjoys the holidays as she is always underfoot waiting for her opportunity to steal some food.  I said, “Get out of my kitchen” (or some variation of with compound swear words) so many times, I was afraid I was going to say it in my sleep.

Luckily for me, Sampson is such a good boy.   For instance, while we were all opening gifts, this is what he was doing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Delilah meanwhile was hawking around the food table, waiting for someone to turn their back so she could snag her opportunity.   Honestly she only licked the garlic bread once!

When it came time to do the dishes, she was best served with a job.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Yup, she took care of the pre-wash portion of the dishes.

Afterwards I captured what may just be my favorite picture.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Sampson and my niece, who clearly adore each other.

How was your holiday? Did you go out to stay in?

This is This ‘N That Thursday, hosted by 2 Brown Dawgs and Ruckus the Eskie.

Comments

Not sure what size your kitchen is but ours is small and two dogs ‘helping’ drives us crazy too! Our youngest cat is on a diet and has discovered the joys of pre-washing. We have banned the dogs from the kitchen when loading the dishwasher as their over exuberance has led to the odd breakable item bouncing to the floor. Lovely to see the mutual adorance!

All three of us are different too. Christmas Eve we were home but we spent Christmas Day at lab cousin Lena’s house. They live in a wooded area, so I spent most of the day on the comfy window seat watching for critters and napping. Katie just hung out napping most of the day and Bailie had to stay by Mom all day to keep her out of toys and other dangerous stuff for puppies. She had to work on her obedience stuff all day and had fun but was totally wiped out when we got home. It was a nice quiet Christmas…a bit like yours, not too many humans, just nice.

Lee is also a big help in the kitchen while Phod stays out. We also have a small family. This year my brother in law came up and we celebrated on the 24th as he was off to his girlfriend’s for Christmas day. So Christmas day after our gifts, we went to the movies and we had leftovers for dinner. It was the perfect day. Looks like yours was fun! Lee and Phod

Oy, Bella is the least helpful helpmate on the planet. She unpacks packages after I’ve wrapped them, undecorates the Christmas and is generally a pain in the patoot and full of mischief from Thanksgiving until New Years. And I wouldn’t have her any other way. ;)

I love that picture of your niece with Sampson. What a tender moment you caught. (I need to meet Sampson so I can get some Labby loving. I miss it so.)

I am with Delilah and am always hanging around the kitchen for any “dropped” morsels of goodness. I tried to trip Ma on Christmas Eve afternoon when she was shredding the Lechon Asado (roasted pork); she didn’t trip but she bobbled and some pork went flying…right into my mouth! BOL I sure hope you all enjoyed your holiday!
    *Cairn cuddles*
    Oz

Oh!!! I really love that last photo of Sampson and your niece. So sweet.
    We do Italian too for the very same reason. My mother used to insist on turkey and all of the fixings, but she would get so stressed out and crabby that it made the holidays less fun. A few years ago we started doing manicotti and a chicken pasta as an alternative and it has worked out great. Mom gets more time with the family and there is less stress all around.

So glad you enjoyed the holiday Jodi. Merry Christmas!

I have come to the conclusion that dog pre-wash makes total sense in every aspect although my mother is turning over in her grave. Glad your holiday went smoothly. Love the picture of Sampson and his fan.

8. Frankie and Ernie says

LOVE the Dish LICKER Pic!!!

Somehow We missed out on the last two days of the Christmas Pressie give aways.
    BUTT it was really Grrrrreat and lots of fun to help make the waiting go Easier.

What a bummer, only getting one lick of garlic bread, D. I was punished right off the bat for being too rough with my new toys. Mom was afraid I would hurt myself because I was so wild. She took my new toys away for a little while (and I took a sip her coffee when she wasn’t looking), and later I was calmer and played nicely with all my new stuff.

Oh how Petal loves to prewash the dishes! Haha. We have to keep a gate up to discourage Petal, and her cousin Penny, from coming into the kitchen to “help”. Unfortunately the gate did nothing for the mash potato/butter loving cats of the house.

We stayed in for Christmas and spent it with just our immediate family. So it was a calm and quiet Christmas. ;)

LOVE that picture of Sampson with your niece. It’s so very sweet.

Our Christmas was delightful! It was just Sam, me, and the dogs. The stepson and his family spent the day with the DIL’s parents and younger siblings. We’ll see the kids/grandkids/grand-dog on New Year’s Day, We spent the day watching movies and playing with the dogs.

Glad y’all had a great Christmas, too!!!

Thanks so much for participating in TNT. Yum lasagna. I should have come over there. I wouldn’t try to take Delilah’s job, honest. ;) Cute picture of your niece with Sampson.

Sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas. Our old dog Rosy was our prewasher of dishes while we loaded the dishwasher. It is nice to see that our new sweet pup, Haley is up for the task as well :-)

We usually do lasagna (hubby is Italian!), but this year he wanted a stuffed turkey breast with the fixins . .we got started cooking a little late and didn’t end up eating until 7:00!! Oh well . . it was fun anyway! It’s nice that Sampson balances out Delilah ;) Merry Christmas!!

Delilah and Toby SO need a play date. She will be like, “What happened to Sampson? I must have finally swayed him over to the dark side…”

And speaking of Sampson, I LOVE the photo of him with your niece. So cute!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

16. Frankie and Ernie says

OH MY GOSH…. that Picture makes up fur ANY and EVERYthingy. What a super time and it is all captured in ONE Photo that says it ALL.