Just One Day

One day.  Twenty four hours. One thousand, four hundred, forty minutes.  Eighty six thousand, four hundred seconds.

For some dogs one day will make the difference between living out their lives being loved and cherished or the end of their life, abandoned and alone in a shelter.

A dog but for the stroke of luck could have been our own sweet Delilah.

The only picture I have where she even remotely resembles a puppy.

The only picture I have where she even remotely resembles a puppy.

Thankfully American Lab Rescue pulled her from the High Kill Shelter she was at and put her in foster care until she could be transported to us.  American Lab Rescue is one of only seven shelters/rescues in the state of Connecticut that have taken the Just One Day Pledge and vowed Now and Forever.

Just One Day takes place every year.  They work year long spreading the message and asking shelters to take the one day pledge.  They will assist shelters by providing model press releases, promotion plans, and a guide to help them adopt their way out of killing.  All of these are provided free of charge to any organization that takes the pledge.

From their website, “To most people, June 11 is Just One Day. But, June 11 is a day that will change everything for about 10,000 companion animals, and a day that can change the world. On June 11, 2013, we can be a No Kill nation.”

10,000 animals!! Sounds good doesn’t it?

But they need our help.  Just about every town in CT (169) have a dog pound or shelter, yet only seven have taken the pledge to be no kill.  And of those seven, they are all, with the exception of one, rescues.  No Humane Societies, no Shelters.  I find that appalling.  And I intend to change that for next year.   I’m going to be recruiting my CT friends to assist me in getting the Just One Day challenge out to shelters in our state so more of them participate next year.

How many shelters in your state participate?  Go to their website and see if your favorite shelter/rescue does, if you don’t see your favorite on the list, contact them, ask them to take the one day pledge.

Together we can make this a No Kill Nation, if only for one day.

Another way you can help shelter animals is to join the Tuesday’s Tails Blog Hop and shine the light on a shelter animal, a dog like Duke here.

Duke is 6 or 7 years old and was abandoned at a truck stop.

Duke is 6 or 7 years old and was abandoned at a truck stop.

Poor Duke, he sat for hours at the truck stop where he was dumped waiting for his heartless human to return.  Duke gets along with children, and dogs, walks well on leash, and he’s very attached to his foster mom’s elderly mother.  You can read more about Duke on his Petfinder Page, he’s currently in foster care in New Fairfield, CT.

10,000 animals in one day seems like a big undertaking, but shelters were closing their doors last year because they had adopted out all their animals.  Imagine, a shelter with no animals. Wouldn’t that be a great ‘problem’ to have?

Comments

Good luck with this Jodi. You are a guardian angels for dogs! Hope Duke finds a home soon, he looks like a great pup.

Wow, had no idea about the just one day thing. We just can’t imagine leaving a pet at a rest stop and driving off, how could anyone with any feelings do such a thing. You have a great cause here!

I love labs. They have a soft spot in my heart. I think this is great. He is a sweet boy. I was heartbroken with Stella/Bella found her a home – I was secretly hoping she would stay forever with us.

I’ve seen such great progress just in the last few years toward a no kill nation. It’s just a matter of getting rid of the old thinking (and the old thinkers) and becoming responsible and compassionate. Hurray for you and all you are doing.

I was elated on Saturday morning when my email included a promo from the shelter we rescued/adopted Ducky from saying that they are participating in Just One Day this year! Equally pleased to read that they are committed to becoming a No Kill shelter. They have a LONG way to go, but at least they are trying! High Kill to No Kill is going to take some time.

6. Frankie and Ernie says

WHY do Peeps do things like that… just drive away from LOVE and DEVOTION. WHAT is wrong with them??

What a difference one day makes… truly, right? I cut some onions when reading Delilah’s story, and know how very, very dear she is to you. One day made a life-changing difference in her life… and yours.
    Now Duke needs someone to change his life. I don’t know how anyone could just abandon him… he looks so sweet sitting there. And you and I both know that there are Delilahs and Dukes everywhere… waiting.
    Thank you for sharing the Just One Day pledge. We have quite a few no-kill shelters and rescues in my area, but we also have city-operated shelters that have really high daily intake numbers, and they are kill shelters. I have inquired to see if my city’s kill shelter is participating in Just One Day. If they’re not, at least maybe it will put a bug in their ear, so to speak.

Good luck with your mission. I am torn on this topic. So many times “no kill” rescues dump their unadoptable dogs at humane societies and/or shelters. Then the shelter or humane society must be the bad guy.

That is a very sweet picture of Delilah. I am glad the breed rescue pulled her from the shelter. Those are the unsung heroes. The dedicated people who comb shelter web sites and petfinder to pull animals in danger of being pts.

I’ve never heard of this one before today, but what a great idea! I think if anybody would be good at talking people into taking the pledge, it would be you!

What a great post Jodi – and I had no idea that this day even existed! It would be so awesome if shelters could put themselves out of business. Some day. One can hope.

I love this post Jodi! I have met many dogs on their last day, and it is a humbling feeling to be able to take them from the shelter and give them another chance, and I’m grateful that I’ve been able to do that. I so dream of a time when every home will have a dog, and every dog will have a home–I hope the goal and dream becomes a reality!!!

How could anyone dump such a beautiful dog? I can’t imagine dumping a dog on the side of a road or dumping a dog anywhere. People can be so cruel. Thanks for joining the blog hop.

You’re doing a wonderful job Jodi – I too hope it will stop and people will be more responsible for animals – I sure hope Duke finds the forever home he deserves….

Wags to all,