The Heart of Spring

Ask any New Englander, spring is in the air.

It’s not just because it stays lighter longer.  (Although that does help our spirits.)

We’ve had some 40 even 50 degree days.  Yes it’s true we do have 40 and 50 degree days in winter.  But a 40 or 50 degree day in January is still cold.

No, the sun is definitely warmer.

The birds are singing.  And yes it’s true we do have year round birds that do sing. But their song is sweeter.

Yes there is definitely a different sound to their trilling.

And it’s not just because most of the snow we received three weeks ago is almost gone. Yes, those 40 and 50 degree days have gone a long way to melting that snow.  In fact, there are patches of earth with no snow on them at all.

Maybe it’s a combination of the above or a change in the air, but tt’s true, if you’ve lived here long enough you definitely know when spring is on her way.

Did you ever wonder where spring started?  Where exactly the heart of spring is?

Yesterday on our walk I made a startling discovery.  Spring’s heart is living right in our little patch of woods.  How do I know this?

Heart I saw it on a tree.

Comments

1. Jodi Stone says

We don’t have a yard for agility, but I’m thinking of seeing if I can’t fit a couple of pieces in this year. :-)

So great when those signs start tumbling on in!! Up here in Nova Scotia I haven’t seen many yet, except I am sooo grateful to be able to eat supper while it’s still (sort of) light out! And we have a very early nest of brand-new starlings in our eaves, but I have to say I’m kind of worried for them. Happy (almost) Spring!

Are you worried because more snow might come or is there a predator in the area?

I bet you start seeing more signs real soon!!

Pawsome pic. We loved that. Yes the birds are tweeting, the foxes are making a racket and i haven’t seen a squirrel in day. Spring is nearly sprung. Have a super Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

I love Spring but I don’t trust it. It lulls you into a sense of warmth and light and the next day you could be back to the middle of winter.

5. Sheena says

I saw my first robin. My mom says that her Dad told her that always meant that spring is here! It renews your faith!

Nice heart! Spring is coming here too, we despise this time of year with all the melty mess, we like either winter or end spring but March makes mom crabby.

We still have snow on the ground here in Minnesota, and six more inches on the way, but the way I can tell spring is coming is by how much fur Lila is shedding! It’s the only time I think shedding is a good thing. :-)

I saw some cherry blossoms today and that always signals the start of spring in Portland! We won’t get any consistent sunshine until July, but we try to enjoy every single dry day that we get!!

I’m hoping we start seeing it next weekend, truth be told. We finally got some snow in the last two weeks and got to go for a couple of nice winter hikes. Next weekend, we’re supposed to have fifty degree days, so I’m anticipating a quick arrival of Spring and green after that. :)

Down here in South Cackalaky, Spring is definitely in the air BUT it’s still cold in the morning. Especially for poor Callie and her one hairless leg. It was only 30 degrees out there when I took her out and all she wanted to do was pee and come back inside where it’s warm and cozy. Bless her sweet Golden heart! (Every time I look at that one leg I want to cry.)