Would You Like Some Coffee With That Chocolate?

I’ve heard a number of times that dogs are not jealous, but I don’t believe that for a minute.

I’ve seen Sampson snap at another dog that approached while he was being pet.  And I’ve watched Delilah butt and push her way between Sampson and me or Sampson and Hubby when Sampson is getting some lovies.

I’m not really sure what the best way to handle this is (if any of you have any suggestions please let me know) so what I’ve been doing is pushing her away.

Last week  I was sitting on the floor rubbing Sampson, she pushed her way in and I gently pushed her away.  I tried to get her to lie down next to me, but she’s stubborn, that one.  Finally she sat next to me and I continued rubbing Sampson but stroked her as well.

Apparently she got tired of that and decided there was a better spot for her.

2013-01-24_20-04-05_480 She climbed up in Hubby’s lap.

She’s worked her way up to this.  It started out with her just putting her front legs up there and standing while she got attention.  Then one night he encouraged her and she climbed into his lap.  I thought it was a one-time thing, but lately she’s been doing it more and more frequently.

There you have it folks, one of the world’s largest lap dogs.

Well he does like a little something sweet after dinner.  I wonder if I should make him coffee as well?

This is the Monday Mischief Blog Hop hosted by Alfie’s Blog, Snoopy’s Blog, Luna’s Blog and My Brown Newfies.  Many thanks to our hosts.

Hop on and see what other mischief is happening today.

Comments

Rudy is not jealous in a pushy way..he looks from a distance if Rio is getting too much fuss but Rio is out and out jealous!! Really pushy!! Every time I speak to Rudy, even if Rio is asleep he will jump up and fly to me trying to push Rudy out of the way!! I do like you do and push him away and if he persists I try to ignore him and he will give up…eventually!!!

People who says dogs aren’t jealous have never owned more than one. :-)
    Toby thinks he is a big old lap dog too. :-) Your hubby seems to be being a good sport about it!

You totally got it right, Delilah! Laps are the best place to be. …until you get bored with the love and decide to leave. Then no matter how much they beg you, you can stand there and act like you have no idea what they’re talking about….. Smooth!

awww :) Gwynn tries to sit on my knee… with his bony little butt digging into my muscles painfully. It doesn’t last long, and doesn’t look nearly as adorable as that!

5. Sue says

Haha!! I can just see it! Callie tries to climb into my lap during a bad thunderstorm — 80 lbs of Golden Retriever sqooshed into the lap of a 140-lb, 5’4″ woman — not fun. Shadow and Ducky are jealous of each other, too. Shadow just comes to us for more attention than she used to bD. (Is that even possible?!) Ducky will occasionally ignore Shadow; but more often than not, she gets a case of “the mines” (meaning Mom and Dad are MINE, stay away!) and starts growling. So, we have to scold her and put her down on the floor, away from Shadow for a few minutes. She settles down fairly quickly now though.

Where did you ever hear that dogs are not jealous? I’ve never had a dog that wasn’t jealous. I think dogs have all the emotions that humans have and some we probably don’t know about?

Hurley and Maggie regularly push whomever is getting attention out of the way to get the closest to Hubby or I. With 2 dogs, I could just use both hands and make everyone happy but now that we have 3, it’s a situation I do have to regulate (otherwise, poor Sadie would never get my lovin’s). When they push another dog out of the way to get closer to me, all petting stops. Both dogs are asked to sit and once they do, the first dog gets petting resumed and then the pushy dog will get some love after a minute. Maggie seems to understand this and is pretty patient for her turn but we’re still working on Hurley. He likes to throw his weight around.

I don’t know if it’s “jealousy’ as we understand the word, but I do see that a dog is not happy when their owner gives physical attention to another dog, even if it is a dog they play with often…Gizmo does it sometimes, as do his friends