Monday Mischief

My heart was heavy when we left for our walk yesterday and I was looking forward to just enjoying the nice weather with Sampson and Delilah.

We started out in the field and they got some zoomies on, then the other side of the field was calling them so I headed off in the opposite direction.  They quickly joined me.

IMG_3811

I’ve been avoiding the back portion of the trails as some of them are fairly steep on their own and made even more treacherous with snow and ice on them.  It was a nice spring-like day though, so I opted for the steeper trails to give the dogs a change of smellery.

Delilah was doing super well off-leash until we came to the area close to the rail trail (a very popular walking/jogging/biking trail,) at that point she blew off her recall and ran out onto the trail.

I kept calling her and I started to head down when I realized she was going farther away.  She was very close to having access to 8.5 miles of blazed trails and so I turned around and headed back towards the field.  After about a minute or so (it seemed like 10) she ran back to me and then she was leashed for the rest of the walk.

As we got close to one of the two entrances to the trail, I noticed someone walking in with Tia the GSD on leash,  I called Sampson to me and leashed him up as well.

Delilah’s leash is 15 feet and Sampson’s is just a tad shorter, so maybe 13 feet.  I find it extremely difficult to walk two dogs on leash.

One heads this way, the other heads that way and then they switch. They did this just as we entered one of the trails.

I took my eyes off the trail to look at their leashes and in the process I missed seeing a branch that was sticking out.

I face planted.

Not like last year on New Year’s Eve where I lost my footing and scrambled to keep from falling.

Not like that at all.

One second my left foot hit the branch and the next second my face hit the ground.

It happened that fast.

My left knee, my right wrist and my mouth took the brunt of the fall.

Immediately I tasted blood and using my tongue inspected my teeth to insure I hadn’t loosened or broken any.  When my face displaced the snow, some of it splashed up on my glasses, and both gloves were wet so I couldn’t wipe them off.

When I fell I dropped Sampson’s leash.  The uncaring oaf Thankfully he just stood there staring out into the woods.  Delilah rushed to my side and stuck her face in mine.

Needless to say the walk didn’t accomplish what I’d set out to do, I cried all the way home and am now sporting a fat lip and a bruised wrist.

How was YOUR weekend? :-)

This is the Monday Mischief Blog Hop, hosted by Alfie’s Blog, Snoopys’ Blog and My Brown Newfies and Luna a Dog’s Life.

Comments

1. Jodi Stone says

Awe, thanks Caren, not too bad. I stabilized the wrist last night and that helped a LOT. More my pride, than anything. :-)

Oh Jodi. I am so sorry! I was hoping the walk would end with you feeling better and uplifted. To read that you cried all the way home made me so sad.

I did something similar after falling at the dog park. My knee hit a rock dead on and split it wide open. I needed two layers of stitches for that one. I cried all the way home too. :(

I hope today will be a better day. On the upside? Both dogs were more concerned about you than the GSD. That is a good thing.

Oh Mel, that’s horrible. At the dog park? Yikes and what a terrible place for stitches!

Delilah will always run to me when I fall, Sampson not so much. :-)

For me I really needed to cry but pride refused so the universe provided the reason. I still have so much to learn.

She is a sweet girl and she loves her Mama. :-) I’m sorry you didn’t have such a good weekend, I hope today is better for you!!

I really sympathise with you as I fall over quite frequently while walking Rudy and Rio!! Even today I turned my ankle numerous times as the tracks are all covered in snow!! I think a good cry helps !!! Hope you are ok thou

Sometimes I stumble along and ask myself why do I enjoy this? LOL I hope you are okay!! I am feeling much better, thank you.

Bummer! Mom has had her share of nasty spills with dogs and it is not fun. The worst was 2 years ago when she took my cousin Lena running. Lena cut her off and mom landed face first on the curb, she looked like she had been in a bar room brawl for almost 2 weeks. Nothing was broken but she had a black eye, bloody, swollen nose, cut and fat lip, skin scraped off her left palm and her left knee was cut open as well as her new running tights were ripped open. What did she learn? Nothing, she still runs with Lena when Lena stays with us! Get well soon.

Oh no! Poor mom, that must have been miserable!! I’ve tried running with Delilah and it’s not easy at all. I give her lots of credit for keeping up her running especially considering past experience.

I’m lucky that it was snow (not ice) and the fat lip is barely noticeable.

Thanks Roxy, but Delilah is not normally the nurturer. LOL last night while I was trying to fix dinner, she was trying to clean the butter dish. :-0

Oh geez Jodi. I’m sorry to hear about your spill and that you’re all bruised up. Heal up soon! And why was your heart heavy when you set out? Is everything okay? I hope I didn’t miss something….

I learned from my last episode to just keep it quiet and not over work it, it should be fine in a few days. Thank you.

Yes, everything is fine, just me being dramatic and thinking the world is all about me. :-) Thanks Donna! And how are those revisions coming?

• says

Phew. Glad nothing too terrible is going on. As for the revisions, I’ve been mulling them over and think they will probably take a bit. Luckily, she wants them “right” not “rushed” so we’re on the same page. :-)

Oww! So sorry that you got hurt. That is definitely no fun at all. Walking two dogs can be difficult, Kelly likes to run from side to side and tangle all up around Brooks. I’m glad your dogs didn’t take off when you dropped the leash. Get better soon.

LOL it is frustrating walking them to say the least.

I’m glad they didn’t take off too Peggy, I would lose my mind if I lost one of them. Does Brooks run from side to side, or just Kelly?

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I’m forever falling over my feet, landing my face in the dirt and generally providing untold amusement for other people. It may not help the bruising but at least you know you’re not alone.

Oh no that does not sound at all the way it should have gone. I am glad you were not hurt worse and at least the dogs stayed with you. You need armor or padding for these walks. :)

I’m reading this 10 minutes after I almost face planted on the concrete steps in front of our house. Luckily, I caught myself, but I still felt like such a spaz! (My husband swears it’s one of the reasons he loves me!)

I’m so sorry about your fall – OUCH! A good cry always helps, but the Universe could have found a less painful way to make that happen. I hope you get to snuggle with your pups all day and recover. Feel better!

Oh Julie!! That would have been horrible!! I’m glad you didn’t fall. I should learn just to let it out, then the Universe wouldn’t have to help me. LOL

10. Frankie Furter and Ernie says

I guess we should look on the Bright side… NOTHING was BROKEN… Whew that could have been a really bad situation.

Ouch Jodi i feel that fall here…hope it’s starting to feel better now…I’ve torn up each of my ankles while out hiking over the last two years…a different one each year of course…I have a wonderful collection of braces now and a great cane…Just wondering if you ever tried using a coupler? With Murphy & Cecil, a Labrador and a German Shepherd, i always used a coupler when I had them on lean, as I’m no where near coordinated to handle two leashes successfully on a trail. Might be worth a try

Oh no, that’s horrible that you hurt yourself! I hope they are both well mended now!

A coupler is a great idea, I just have to remember to buy one. :-)

Oh no, you poor thing, I hope you’re feeling a bit better now! :)

My Mum uses a split leash to walk Cosmo and I so at least we’re both in the same direction and it’s hard for us to get tangled, plus we’ve got pretty good at even getting untangled if the lead goes behind our butts, we just spin around :)

Big hugs,

Your pal Snoopy :)

Yes Jen, I think you are right!! Girl’s weekend! I need to learn to let myself express my feelings to the Universe doesn’t have to help me. :-)

I’m sorry for your fall, but it’s good to know that you have such caring attendants. We’re sending healing thoughts and hopes for warmer temperatures.

Oh no! Glad you didn’t break any teeth — or bones!! Take it easy for a few days so you can heal.

I always have trouble walking two as well… they never coordinate!

I’m so sorry to hear about your fall – thank goodness it wasn’t worse! I hope you’re feeling better soon.